Judith and I rented Overlook cabin for Labor Day Weekend (first time staying in Overlook since it was our summer home). After gorgeous high 70’s and 80 degree days we awoke this morning to snow flurries and terrific gusts of wind. A winter snow storm across Colorado including the front range so we are at this moment evaluating a drive home today or waiting until tomorrow. A wonderful luxury!
I wanted you to celebrate with us the life of one of our favorite people. Today is JJ’s 80th Birthday and a wonderful time to remember and reflect on life with JJ—try to do that without smiling!
This is Covid summer at Shadowcliff and nature continues to remind us that we are not in charge of life on the planet:
- The Cameron Pass Fire has spread into the northern part of Rocky (think Mummy Range) and Trail Ridge Road closed Sunday afternoon due to smoke, likely white/gray outs and fire risk. Fire bans have been in effect for at least a week or more.
- The North Inlet Stream is the lowest I can recall although of course flowing. The Colorado River in the Park is similar.
- Willows have been heavily browsed. I presume as 4-leggeds seek moisture as well as other nutrients from the green.
- When we arrived Thursday the aspen had only light touches of yellow on the east side of the park but more color as we headed down toward the Colorado River trailhead. Each day since, the yellow has popped a little more. So yesterday there was a beautiful bend of aspen clinging to their green and others leading the way to fall colors. The winds today will have a definite impact but since this weather is short lived the still-green leaves may cling to the trees and turn another day.
- Shadowcliff Cabins were spotless (thanks to Alanah and Brandon) and provide a very welcome retreat for those of us lucky enough to be here.
HAPPY 80TH JJ AND Wishing you all a warm and joyful day!
(Smiling JJ photo below)